Many smokers start using ecigarettes as smoking alternative. From here on, each vaper treads his/her own path. Some eventually find that ecigs has led them to give up tobacco and nicotine altogether and decide to end the journey there. Yet, there are also those who have developed a different passion and interest on the vaping hobby.
Like other hobbies such as knitting, scrapbooking and photographing, these new hobbyists also spend time, effort and resources on their vaping hobby. They have found something new and profound in their new leisure pursuit. Rebecca Hanlon discussed about vaping hobbyists in her recent York Daily Record article, but the ones she featured were young adults who do not like to smoke, yet want to enjoy the social pleasures of it.
Samantha Lisowski is a 23-year old vaper from York whom Hanlon reported to be among the vaping hobbyists. Lisowski said she never wanted to put a cigarette in her mouth because there are obvious signs of what harms cigarettes can do to one’s body. She explained that if a person would still smoke cigarettes, it would be an ignorance of current information.
Her grandfather had been a smoker for 20 years and he has died from throat and lung cancer. She watched how the entire family struggled with this loss so cigarette smoking was never her option or interest.
Still, she found the social aspect of smoking appealing. Lisowski said that she sometimes want to hold something in a party. With smoking still stigmatized in society, she added they are now finding ways of making it work.
Venturing Into Vaping
Individuals are not the only ones taking intetest on the growing trend, but also some businesses and their owners. One Step Up LLC is owned by JR Russell. It has been a smoking accessory shop for three years, but he and his wife Stacey has converted it into a complete vape shop roughly 2.5 years ago.
Russell said that 80-90% of their customers are smokers who want to quit the habit. The remaining 10% comprises of college-aged people who do not want to smoke, but would like the same social pleasures just like Lisowski.
The store offers 224 flavors of ejuice. Customers cold customize their flavors and nicotine strengths. He explained that the difference between cigarette nicotine and ecig nicotine is the lack of carbon monoxide and tar from the latter.
Alarming Trend For Prohibitionists
This trend is, of course, not positive news to the prohibitionists. They insist that there might be some health issues that vaping could bring. Tobacco cessation specialist at WellSpan, Marie Drawbaugh, remarked that not much is really known about ecigs to say they are a problem.
To those who choose to use official and approved cessation methods like those offered at WellSpan, she suggests them to use NRTs like gums and patches. Any addiction is harmful, she said. Yet, the very same NRTs that she hails are equally addictive as they also contain nicotine. These NRTs also create a horde or new addicts from the non-smoking population.
At Rutter’s Farm Store, communications manager Alex Henry said that they have been selling various ecigs since 2011 and treated them like tobacco. They ID customers to make sure they are of legal age before allowed to purchase ecigs.
Reputable ecig stores also do the same such as Internal Vaper. Co-owner Meghan Little said they require customers to be at least 18 years old. Ecigs are devices generally sold only to adults. If Lisowski and other young adults like her choose to use ecigs even if they have not smoked cigarettes; it is their decisions to make. After all, politicians urge these young adults to decide for themselves during election time as politicians believe young adults have the capacity to think what will be best for the nation.Posted in Blog Portal | No Comments »